All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT
Feb 11, 2013 • ISBN: 9781455728466
Suggested retail price $84.95
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Bring medical terminology to life with Davi-Ellen Chabner's bestselling The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition! By presenting medical terms within the context of the body’s anatomy and physiology, and in health and disease, this proven resource makes it easy for students to learn a working medical vocabulary built on the most frequently encountered prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. Practical exercises and case studies demonstrate how medical terms are used in practice. Add a companion Evolve website with medical animations and videos, word games, flash cards, and more, and your students will be ready to communicate confidently in the clinical setting and succeed in healthcare careers.
- NEW! In Person narratives help students understand diseases and conditions from the patient’s perspective.
- Practical applications such as case reports, operative and diagnostic tests, and laboratory and x-ray reports demonstrate the use of medical terminology in practice.
- Simple, clear, non-technical explanations demystify medical terminology even if students have little or no background in medicine or science.
- NEW! Terms and definitions keep students up to date with healthcare advances.
- NEW! Images and photos illustrate difficult terms and procedures.
- Error-prone abbreviations list derived from the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) list alerts students to abbreviations that should not be used in the clinical setting.
- NEW! A Closer Look highlights particular conditions.
- Comprehensive glossaries and appendices serve as quick references for use in the classroom and on the job.
- Pronunciation of Terms at the end of each chapter include phonetic spellings and spaces to write meanings of terms.
- Self-study text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with labeling diagrams, pronunciation tests, and review sheets.
- More Spotlights identify and clarify potentially confusing terminology.
Educator Resources on Evolve
- Updated TEACH resources with lesson plans, lecture outlines, and over 1,220 PowerPoint® slides
- Instructor’s Manual with quizzes for each chapter including M/C, exercise, dictation, spelling, pronunciation, diagram, vocabulary, and review
- Image collection of all images from the text
- ExamView® test bank with over 5,400 questions
- Crossword puzzles
- Practical applications
- Medical forms
- Medical scrambles
- 100-question comprehensive exam for Chapters 1-4
- 20-question final exam for Chapters 5-22
Student Resources on Evolve
- Interactive exercises for Chapters 1-22
- Quick Quizzes
- Pronunciation identification exercises
- Word games
- Animations and videos
- Four glossaries: audio, image, medical terms, and word parts
- Study tips
- Body Spectrum electronic anatomy coloring book
- Commonly used medical word parts
- Word parts flashcards
- Answers to combining forms and terminology
- Answers to pronunciation of terms
- Glossary of medical terms
- English-Spanish glossary
- Greek and Latin glossary
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781455742394 Price:$84.95
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9780323188876 Price:$84.95
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9781455742400 Price:$84.95
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323242929 Price:$84.95
- Title:Medical Terminology Online for The Language of Medicine (Access Code and Textbook Package)
ISBN: 9781455758814 Price:$116.00
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Text and iTerms Audio (User Guide and Access Code) Package
ISBN: 9781455772360 Price:$101.95
- Title:Medical Terminology Online for The Language of Medicine (Access Code, Textbook and iTerms Package)
ISBN: 9781455772407 Price:$130.00
- Title:The Language of Medicine - Text and Mosby's Dictionary 9e Package
ISBN: 9781455773817 Price:$117.00
- Basic Word Structure
- Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
- Digestive System
- Additional Suffixes and Digestive System Terminology
- Urinary System
- Female Reproductive System
- Male Reproductive System
- Nervous System
- Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Blood System
- Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- Musculoskeletal System
- Sense Organs: The Eye and the Ear
- Endocrine System
- Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Medical Word Parts to English
- English to Medical Word Parts
Appendix I: Plurals
Appendix II: Abbreviations, Acronyms, Eponyms, and Symbols
Appendix III: Normal Hematologic Reference Values and Implications of Abnormal Results
Appendix IV: Drugs
Appendix V: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Terms