All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Patricia A. Potter, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN, Anne Griffin Perry, RN, EdD, FAAN, Patricia Stockert, RN, BSN, MS, PhD and Amy Hall, RN, BSN, MS, PhD, CNE
Mar 22, 2012 • ISBN: 9780323079334
Suggested retail price $131.00
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Revised, reorganized, and reviewed for accuracy, Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th Edition combines unparalleled nursing coverage with innovative, fully integrated learning and teaching support to help you build the most effective fundamentals curriculum with ease. The Potter team's proven, student-friendly approach describes the principles, concepts, and skills essential to your students' success, and comprehensive educator support tools seamlessly coordinate all of your course resources to enhance your teaching capabilities and help you meet all of your curriculum goals. Thoroughly reviewed by nursing experts and peers, this edition ensures that your students learn with completely accurate content.
- UNIQUE! Clear, streamlined writing style reviewed by an ESL/Readability specialist makes complex material more approachable.
- More than 55 skills demonstrations guide students through each step for administering safe nursing care.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking Models in each chapter show students how to apply the nursing process for successful clinical outcomes.
- NEW! Dr. Patricia Stockert and Dr. Amy Hall join Dr. Potter and Dr. Perry, each bringing more than 20 years of experience in nursing practice and education.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Building Competency boxes help students apply QSEN competencies to realistic clinical situations.
- NEW! 1,500-question test bank on Evolve saves you time and ensures thorough student assessment.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Clinical Applications questions test students' understanding of clinical practices.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Expanded Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight the importance of current clinical research in daily practice.
- NEW! Case studies in all clinical chapters provide practice using care plans and concept maps to perform clinical application exercises.
- NEW! TEACH 2.0 educator resources map all of your course content and resources to simplify your course planning and class preparation.
- Planning sections on Goals and Outcomes, Setting Priorities, and Teamwork and Collaboration help students plan and prioritize care.
- Implementation sections detail care guidelines for health promotion, acute care, and continuing care across all practice settings.
- Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions for each skill alert students to potential problems and appropriate actions.
- Nursing Assessment Questions boxes help students phrase questions for more effective patient communication.
- Cultural Aspect of Care boxes provide practical guidelines for managing patients' cultural needs and preferences.
- Patient Teaching boxes outline successful strategies for patient education.
- Focus on Older Adult boxes highlight key aspects of nursing assessment and care for this growing population.
- More than 25 Concept Maps illustrate care planning for clients with multiple nursing diagnoses.
- More than 25 Care Plans help students understand how to apply the 5-step nursing process to address individual patient problems.
- NEW! Three comprehensive practice exams based on overall Fundamentals content and a calculations tutorial on the Evolve website help students identify areas requiring further study.
- NOC outcomes, NIC interventions, and the latest NANDA diagnoses incorporated into Care Plans reflect national care standards.
- UNIQUE! Caring for the Cancer Survivor chapter prepares students for the special challenges involved in the care of cancer survivors who still face physical and emotional effects of the illness and its treatment.
- NEW! Content on violence, genetics/genomics, compassion fatigue, bullying, and the accreditation process addresses current concerns in nursing practice.
- NEW! Skill guidelines for blood glucose monitoring help students ensure accurate readings when performing this common skill.
- More than 100 NEW photos clarify procedures and familiarize students with the latest clinical equipment.
Educator Resources on Evolve
- NEW TEACH for Nurses manual with customizable, ready-made lesson plans that include:
- Nursing curriculum standards (QSEN, Concept-Based, BSN Essentials)
- Unique case studies with answer guidelines
- Teaching strategies with learning activities (in-class, group, and online)
- Instructor and student resources
- Teaching focus summaries
- Learning objectives
- Key terms
- Detailed chapter outlines
- Completely new 1,500-question test bank
- Completely rewritten test questions
- Based on the NCLEX® exam and the fundamentals curriculum
- More application questions
- Individuals who wrote one or more chapters took the test questions for two or more chapters they did not write.
- Current fundamentals instructors also "worked" the tests to check for accuracy, clarity, and level.
- Includes alternate item questions
- Revised PowerPoint Slides
- Over 1,000 customizable slides
- 50 progressive case studies
- Integrated images, tables and boxes
- Audience response questions throughout
- Speaker notes for each slide
- Curriculum Conversion Guide
- Concept Exemplar Guide
- Answers to clinical application questions
- Answers and rationales for review questions
- Access to all Student Resources
Student Resources on Evolve
- Video Clips
- Concept Map Creator
- Case Study with Questions
- Skills Performance Checklists
- Interactive Learning Activities
- Review Questions
- Audio Glossary
- Calculations Tutorial
- Key Term Flashcards
- Butterfield’s Fluids and Electrolytes Tutorial
- Content Updates
- 3 practice exams on overall Fundamentals content
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9780323136051 Price:$85.15
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9780323091916 Price:$85.15
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323096126 Price:$85.15
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323184403 Price:$85.15
- Title:Study Guide for Fundamentals of Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9780323243841 Price:$22.72
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text and Study Guide Package
ISBN: 9780323086905 Price:$147.95
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text and Virtual Clinical Excursions 3.0 Package
ISBN: 9780323088688 Price:$166.95
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text and Clinical Companion Package
ISBN: 9780323091800 Price:$147.95
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text and Simulation Learning System Package
ISBN: 9780323089104 Price:$166.95
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing Textbook and Mosby's Nursing Video Skills Student Version DVD 4e Package
ISBN: 9780323090858 Price:$188.00
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing Textbook 8e and Mosby's Nursing Video Skills Student Version Online (Access Card) 4e Package
ISBN: 9780323090865 Price:$188.00
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text, Study Guide, and Mosby's Nursing Video Skills - Student Version DVD 4e Package
ISBN: 9780323090940 Price:$204.26
- Title:Fundamentals of Nursing - Text and SImulation Learning System
ISBN: 9780323171854 Price:$165.95
- Title:Nursing Skills Online Version 3.0 for Fundamentals of Nursing (User Guide, Access Code and Textbook Package)
ISBN: 9780323100908 Price:$171.95
1. Nursing Today
2. The Health Care Delivery System
3. Community-Based Nursing Practice
4. Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice
5. Evidence-Based Practice
Unit 2: Caring Throughout the Life Span
6. Health and Wellness
7. Caring in Nursing Practice
8. Caring for the Cancer Survivor
9. Culture and Ethnicity
10. Caring for Families
11. Developmental Theories
12. Conception Through Adolescence
13. Young to Middle Adult
14. Older Adult
Unit 3: Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice
15. Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice
16. Nursing Assessment
17. Nursing Diagnosis
18. Planning Nursing Care
19. Implementing Nursing Care
21. Managing Patient Care
Unit 4: Professional Standards in Nursing Practice
22. Ethics and Values
23. Legal Implications in Nursing Practice
25. Patient Education
26. Documentation and Informatics
Unit 5: Foundations for Nursing Practice
27. Patient Safety
28. Infection Prevention and Infection Control
29. Vital Signs
30. Health Assessment and Physical Examination
31. Medication Administration
32. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Unit 6: Psychosocial Basis for Nursing Practice
35. Spiritual Health
36. The Experience of Loss, Death, and Grief
37. Stress and Coping
Unit 7: Physiological Basis for Nursing Practice
38. Activity and Exercise
41. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
43. Pain Management
45. Urinary Elimination
46. Bowel Elimination
47. Mobility and Immobility
48. Skin Integrity and Wound Care
49. Sensory Alterations
50. Care of Surgical Patients